Careers at LEAP
LEAP serves over 450 youth in Salem, Peabody and Gloucester in programs that include academic enrichment and support, college access and readiness, and college and career advising. We are always interested in hearing from qualified individuals. You may send your resume to Linda Saris, Executive Director, via email or at 35 Congress St. Suite 102, Salem MA 01970. We look forward to your continued interest, support and involvement. Enjoy your time with us and do not hesitate to share your insights, questions and concerns. We rely on your feedback for the continued improvement of our programs.
Part-time Accounting Assistant – 10 hours per week
LEAP for Education, Inc. – Salem, MA 01970
$15 an hour – Part-time, Temporary
About LEAP for Education:
Our mission is to empower low income and first-generation-to-college students to perform a higher levels in middle and high school and to provide life skills and ongoing personalized support to prepare them for college, career and beyond.
*Cover letter and resume required for this position
If you are looking for a part-time administrative position in an organization that makes a significant and positive difference in the lives of many students on the North Shore, this is the position for you.
Become part of a team and culture that is innovative, flexible and pro-active in its approach to education.
We are looking for someone who takes creative approaches to their jobs, can work independently but act for the benefit of the team, who communicates well and is hooked on doing a quality job.
Our part-time accounting assistant will be responsible for:
- Payroll processing for a full time staff of 10, a part-time staff of 6 and temporary staff of 5-10 people (higher during the summer)
- Process new employees into the payroll system and all other changes (e.g. pay, terminations, leaves, changes in benefits)
- Employee Benefits administration – enroll new employees and process changes to the benefit selections on behalf of employees.
- Keep benefits policies up to date
- Maintain relationship with payroll and benefits providers
- Re-quote benefit policies annually or as requested
- Create and update employee files
- Order general office supplies
- Assist Accountant in other processes as needed such as scanning and uploading vendor invoices to the e-billing system and preparing deposit reports
- Assist Accountant in audit preparation and ongoing financial analysis (occasionally and, as needed)
- Certificate, Associates or BA in accounting or bookkeeping
- High school degree and at least 5 years of relevant experience
- Experience working with payroll is a definite plus
- Proficient in MS Excel (a test will be administered during interview)
- Math competency and demonstrated commitment to quality
- Great communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Flexible, takes initiative and is creative in one’s approach to work
Because of payroll processing, all or part of the 10 hours must take place on Monday and Tuesday. On weeks that payroll is not processed, hours can be more flexible. Actual hours during those days will be decided upon hire. Mother’s hours are acceptable.
Because this is a part-time position, there will be no benefits other than paid sick time which will be calculated based on I hour of sick time per 30 hours of work (approximately 17 hours per year).
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $15.00 /hour
Required education: Associate
Required experience: Accounting, 1 year
INTERESTED IN VOLUNTEERING?
The staff and students at LEAP for Education, Inc. value your interest in our youth programs. Volunteers are a vital part of achieving our goal of expanding the educational and career opportunities for low-income and/or first-generation-to-college youth in our community. Visit our volunteer page to browse our current needs or visit our internships page to find current opportunities in the north shore and surrounding areas.