Join our Girls Who Code Club
Learn a new coding language, meet female computer scientists,
and change the world through code!
Girls Who Code is a national franchise of computer science clubs for girls started in New York in 2012 and funded by many west coast software companies. Their mission is to close the gender gap in technology. Computing skills are the most sought-after in the US job market, with demand growing 3X the national average, but girls across the US are being left behind. Computing is where the jobs are — and where they will be in the future — but fewer than 1 in 5 computer science graduates are women. With women making up almost half our workforce, it’s imperative for our economy that we’re preparing our girls for the future of work.
In support of this goal, we are running a local Girls Who Code chapter at LEAP for Education in Salem.
View logo created by students in the Girls Who Code Club at LEAP for Education.
- Completion of all required registration forms.
- Girls must be in 6th-12th grade.
- Girls must commit to attending class each week.
- Girls must have transportation to and from LEAP for Education, Inc. which is located in the downtown Salem area. (Please note that we will work with you to arrange transportation if this is a barrier to participation.)
|Tuesday, October 10th through
Tuesday, May 1st
|LEAP for Education
35 Congress St.
Salem, MA 01970
|*Girls from all local public and private high schools are welcome to apply.
Please note that enrollment is rolling, and we welcome new students all year long.
LEAP Lead Facilitator, Biomedical Sciences Major at Salem State University
LEAP Teaching Assistants
Kim Aalfs, Kayla Dorst
- Learn Python, as a practical programming language to have in your tool belt.
- Develop an app to meet a community need, in order to understand the impact computer science can have in different areas of your lives.
- Meet female computer scientists from a variety of disciplines, in order to understand the many career paths available to you.
Click here to access the Girls Who Code club Google Classroom.
You will receive access information via email after completing all registration forms.
Click here to access the Codecademy platform for Python tutorials.
You will receive sign-in information at your first club meeting.
Click here to access the TechnoVation Challenge App Development
Week 2 – Data and Variables.