COLLEGE SUCCESS PROGRAM COLLEGE COACH
Salem, MA 01970
$32,000 – $36,000 a year
FULL-TIME POSITION WITH BENEFITS AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY (37.5 HOURS PER WEEK)
LEAP for Education (LEAP) is a non-profit organization that empowers underserved and first-generation-to-college students to succeed in college, career and life. We do this by teaching students academic and life-skills needed to perform at higher levels in middle school and high school. Students also receive ongoing personalized support and community connections which helps them graduate from college and create a future based on their strengths and interests.
In our College Success Program (CSP), we strive to decrease the college graduation gap that exists among our students (since most are economically disadvantaged and/or students of color) in addition to having students take on minimal debt in order to fund their college education. Currently our College Success Program is offered in Salem and Peabody, where we serve over 125 youth.
Our Impact: To date, 100% of students enrolled in our College Success Program graduate high school and 98% have enrolled in college. 87% of our students graduate from college or have successfully entered their junior year of college. 100% of our students complete their financial aid forms and over 90% receive grants and scholarships.
Job Responsibilities: We are looking for a talented individual to fulfill the full-time duties of College Coach in our College Success Program (reporting to the Program Manager). You will run the college component of our program and have a caseload of 35-45 college students. You will be expected to meet with each student on a regular basis to support their academic, social, and emotional progress throughout college. Any issues or obstacles that may derail a student’s graduation from college are top priority during these check-ins.
- Build positive, supportive relationships with your college students
- Maintain caseload notes for your students, and follow up with any concerns, including meeting attendance, upcoming transfer or scholarship applications, and other student needs
- Work closely with the rest of the CSP team to strengthen the college component of our program to increase buy-in from our HS students and to retain current college students
- Maintain a regular presence in the community and at local colleges to engage with current and potential students, as well as administrative staff and admissions/financial aid officers
Requirements (do not apply if you do not meet these):
- B.A. or B.S. degree (Education, Social Work, Psychology, Human Services, Sociology, or other related majors preferred)
- Ability to make a commitment of at least two years (due to the nature of the work we do and the trust that needs to be built with our students)
- Must have reliable transportation for days when travel is required
- Interest in working with underserved youth and commitment to developing skills to best support this demographic (2+ years of demonstrated experience preferred)
- Strong communication (written and verbal) skills and excellent editing skills to assist students in writing college essays
- Proficiency in MS Office applications and Google Drive
- Must be willing to work occasional weekends or evenings for special events or activities
Why Should You Work at LEAP?
- Make a difference in the lives of underserved, first-generation-to-college students and help to close the achievement gap
- Join a team of passionate, supportive, and highly experienced staff
- Flexible work schedule and environment
Compensation for this position ranges from $16.00/hour to $18.00/hour depending on experience and education. You will receive 3 weeks of vacation, 8 holidays (when office is closed) and will accrue up to an additional 19 days in sick and personal time (including optional holidays). Full-time employees will qualify for medical insurance (80% paid by the organization for single coverage, 75% for family), Short-term Disability and Life Insurance.
Resumes and cover letters are required for consideration.
Please send them to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In your cover letter please explain why you are interested in working with youth, how you connect with LEAP’s mission and why you believe you are qualified to be an adviser (tell us a little bit about your experience(s) with college and financial aid applications).
In the provision of our services, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender or gender identity, age, religion, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, ancestry, public assistance, veteran history/military status, genetic information or disability.
LEAP’s programs are funded in part with funds from the City of Salem Department of Planning and Community Development, City of Peabody Department of Planning and Community Development, and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.